Saturday, December 10, 2011


When David Neal was born I got a nice card from a family member with a picture of Jesus on the front holding a lamb.  Inside the card read "He will feed His flock like a shepherd;  He will gather the lambs in His arm, He will carry them close to His heart and will gently lead those that have their young."  Isaiah 40:11.  This was a well-known verse, one I had read and heard sung many times.  But that time, as a totally overwhelmed brand new mom, it hit me right in the heart.  I was the one with "young" and God was promising to not only help me, but to do it gently--quite an encouragement for a newbie.  That verse was one I went back to again and again through David's babyhood and again with Aaron's.  

Fast forward six years...we came to China to adopt Megan.  She was a "special needs" baby because of her cleft lip. Three months after bringing her home she had lip-repair surgery.  It was one of the top four worst experiences of my life (this trip is tied for number 1).   About two days after surgery as she was recovering with a swollen, bloody face and restrained arms, I was walking her in the stroller which was the only place she could get any sleep.  I remember clearly.  It was a hot, hot, humid August day, I was just down the block from our house, listening in my ears to a sermon on.... Isaiah 40.  

At the time I was exhausted from caring for this post-surgery girl, we were still trying to get the hang of being outnumbered with the three kids instead of just two, it was REALLY hot but I had to keep walking or else she'd never sleep, I was totally depressed and defeated and then the preacher preached straight into my brain from Isaiah 40:11:

    "He gently leads those that are with young," he read.  "Do you get that?!  God gives SPECIAL CARE for SPECIAL NEEDS!" 

Rarely has God spoken so clearly and directly to me as at that moment.  The fact that the preacher had used the adoption lingo of  "special needs" as I'm walking my "special needs" daughter dealing with my own numerous "special needs" pretty much stopped me in my tracks.  

I'm giving you that background story because God has, once again, brought that verse and that lesson to my mind a LOT this week.  He will not only give special care for Josie's special needs, which are many, but for MY own spiritual, physical and emotional special needs, which are also many.  And He hasn't just promised that to me.  It's for everyone.  

The family member who sent that card to me over nine years ago?  David's grandma, Josephine.  We named Josie after her.  Their name means "God will increase".  Josie's middle name is Grace.  Little did we know when we named her how much we would need the reminder...every time we call her name.   That God will give special care for her special needs and to all of us an increase of His grace.
more statues

even more statues

hotel "children's palace" (not very palatial but she likes it--so does David)

fun in the palace

more fun in the palace

yay!!! our people have returned!!!!!  (good thing, David and I have run out of things to talk about...)

4 comments:

  1. This was so beautiful Julie! Thanks for sharing.
    I still can't believe your with the Lewis'.
    It brings tears to see you all together.
    Praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love seeing you all together. That must be a breath of fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lewises and Melillis!!! GOd is so good to you all, He knew you would need each other in China, He knew. I still remember that first meeting at my house...and who would have ever guessed that you would be in China together??? Only God. He's loving and good. I love this very special post. thanks, julie!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful name, beautiful verse, beautiful Savior. Thanks for sharing this part of your story, Julie.

    ReplyDelete