Tuesday, January 31, 2012


"You are very brave."

"I know this is so hard."

"Everything is new and different."

"You are doing a good job."

"I will help you."

"You're going to get it."

"It's o.k."

These are the words I am speaking to Josie every day, many times a day.  She still speaks very little English and I don't know how much she understands.  I want her to hear the words, though, because one of these days she WILL understand!  And then, I hope, she'll be encouraged and know that I'm on her side.  I don't rightly think there will be anything in her life that will be as difficult as this whole situation is.  


Last week was very trying.  God sent lots of family and friends to rally around.

How can anyone do this hard life without Jesus?  

We continue to try to get to know Josie.  It hasn't even been two months yet.  
It's easy to forget that she's still new to everything and everyone.  
It's hard to parent a child who you don't know very well.    
So hard.  

We're playing detective. Looking for clues in her behavior.  We've shown her pictures and tried to gauge reactions for some enlightenment.  We found a Cantonese-speaking babysitter to "spy" on some of her ramblings. 
The girls had a little backpack love affair one day--they wouldn't take them off!
This shopping cart gets a lot of mileage all day long
She's learned two colors!  Red and green!  Well, red's still a little inconsistent.  But she's got "green" down!  
Push-ups with personal trainer
She does anything and everything the others do.  (Which isn't always a good thing...)

She is really good at putting on her own socks and boots!  And she's very proud of herself.

She is starting to give the boys the time of day.  Especially biggest brother.  



She's taught the others how to sing "Happy Birthday" in Chinese!!!  Check out the party below!



We're still on a giant roller coaster around here.  
And I'm actually not a big fan of giant roller coasters.
A good morning might be followed by a horrendous afternoon followed by a calm, lovely bedtime.  And the next day might be bad breakfast, good lunch, decent dinner, terrible bedtime.  
There's just no formula.  Except maybe "3 steps forward, 2 steps back".   


"You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope.  
With less of you there is more of God and his rule."

"Let me tell you why you are here.  
You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth."

"If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus?  Anybody can do that!"

"Grow up!  You are kingdom subjects.  Now live like it.
Live out your God-created identity. 
Live generously and graciously toward others,
the way God lives toward you."

"What I'm trying to do here is get you to relax, 
to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving."

"Give your entire attention to what I am doing right now, 
and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow.  
I will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes." *

These are some of the words God is speaking to me every day, many times a day.  I'm still mostly speaking the language of grumbling and complaining, but some days, I understand.    
And his words, the Word, helps. 


"Stripes" Day!

*God's been speaking to me a lot through the "Message" translation lately.  
These words come from Matthew 5 and 6.


3 comments:

  1. You don't know me but I happened to "stumble" across your blog one day. And then, much to my total surprise, I saw you at Upward on Saturday!! I did not want to come over to you and appear to be a crazy blog stalker! But just know that I've prayed for you since this past weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, you don't know me either. I work with David at the college and have been following your journey and praying for you and your family through this journey and it struck me that perhaps God is telling you the same things that you are telling Josie from the beginning of your post. How different yet how similar your needs may be in this journey. Continuing to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, It's been a while since I have read your updates. I will continue in prayer for the whole clan. What made me comment on this post is that I, too, love reading The Message just to get away from the "skimming because the words are so familiar" rut. Greg calls it my "fake Bible", which makes me love it even more. Wish we were closer and could offer you more than just prayer support. Love from the Woodards

    ReplyDelete