Saturday, January 7, 2012

Pinkalicious

  

It was just three weeks ago that boys still ruled this roost.  Legos and light sabers beat out Bitty Babies and bubble wands.  But now, how the foaming-pink tide has turned...  We are up to our glittery earmuffs in dollies, toy strollers, tea sets and sparkle shoes.  Tights and tutus are the order of the day and we are viewing everything (well, most everything...) through rose-colored lenses. 


We've been home three weeks.  We can check "recover from jet lag" off the to-do list.  We can name a few of Josie's favorites:  cookies, ice cream, trampoline, Dolly, Twinkle Twinkle.  We can see tiny glimmers of hope in changing behaviors and learning each day.  



The "food honeymoon" is over, I'm afraid.   Foods that she once scarfed down are now getting the dreaded "myou" (Cantonese for "NO!!!").  So I offer her lots of different things.  Try to get her to try at least one bite.  Try to explain with hand gestures and charades without causing a meltdown.  In the end, ice cream and cookies it is.  Maybe man CAN live by ice cream and cookies alone...we shall see.  
(If our doctor or social worker is reading this...she isn't JUST eating cookies and ice cream...she's drinking chocolate milk too).

Favorite job--setting the table

Bedtime is still an "adventure" each night.  Can't quite seem to nail down a routine.  I've been treated to  some gorgeous sunrises as I've been up pre-dawn with one or two early birds.  And, yes, that's one of the "seeing life through rose-colored lenses" moments.  I may or may not have so lovely an attitude about it as it's actually happening.

She's SO interested in everything anyone does
Look at that very patient brother
We are learning, slowly but surely, to check our expectations each day and keep them in line with the facts:  we have only been home three weeks, this child's past life has been "less than ideal", and she's doing the best she can.  If any of us were plopped down in another country with no familiar people, places, foods, sights or sounds, would we be as brave and adaptable as she's been?  I doubt it.  


God has been merciful and loving to encourage me in many ways.  Through connection with others who have adopted kids from difficult places, through friends who have prayed, emailed, brought dinner, through unseasonably warm weather to get the girls out, through His Word.  

Ponder this gem that I unearthed the other day.

I will be glad and rejoice in Your mercy and steadfast love, because 
You have seen my affliction, 
You have taken note of my life's distresses.  

Have mercy and be gracious unto me, O Lord, 
for I am in trouble; 
with grief my eye is weakened, 
also my inner self and my body.  

Blessed be the Lord! 
For He has shown me His marvelous loving favor when 
I was beset as in a besieged city.

As for me, I said in my haste and alarm, 
I am cut off from before Your eyes. 

But You heard the voice of my supplications when 
I cried to You for aid.

O love the Lord, all you His saints! 
The Lord preserves the faithful.
Be strong and let your heart take courage, 
all you who wait for and hope for and expect the Lord!
Psalm 31:21-24

When I read this I was shocked that King David had somehow come and ripped a page out of my China journal!  Yes, God's Word IS living and active, exposing and sifting and analyzing and judging the very thoughts and purposes of the heart! (Hebrews 4:12 AMP)


Alongside the clothing, the feeding, the hugging, the training, the cleaning, the rocking, the playing, the crying, I must include the reading, the thanking, the supplicating, the meditating, the lamenting, the praying for this time, these days, to not be for naught.  I must believe God's promise...He has not only gone before us in this, but He's with us right now in this.  






3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Jules. I was just thinking the other day I'm really glad Megan has a sis, and Josie too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Julie, beautiful post and encouraging Psalm! See you tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, that psalm. thank you.

    your kiddos are gorgeous. i will pray for you right now--for grace and tenacity enough for each minute. He'll never forsake us.

    ReplyDelete